Changing the World


Change. 
The only constant about change is that there will always be change. 
Many times we cannot see the world changing around us, until it smacks us in the face. 
Especially when we are trying to make changes to our lives or our communities, it can seem like daunting and excruciating work, because you may never actually see the fruit of your labors. 
I have struggled with this aspect of my own career in the last seven years. Have I made a difference at all? My career isn't strictly in the activist field, but there are definitely parts of it which are. Advocating on behalf of others for better nutrition for free lunches or free weekend food. Trying to reach food pantry clients to talk about healthcare or housing or assistance opportunities. It can be tough to see any changes in the community. Helping people make spiritually ground decisions in life. All this can take years to really see any difference.
Personally, change is a daily companion at the moment. I am living through a life transition. At the moment, our plans and our stuff moves and changes on an hourly basis. The smell of cardboard is permeating the house. 
In all the ways change comes upon us, it can be overwhelming. Yet, knowing your values and grounding, keeping the joy and light along the journey, and recognizing the ways you need to take for yourself are all ways you can keep the overwhelming aspects of activism work in perspective. 
I am not exactly sure what the long term impact of this book will be on me, but I know the short term, in the midst of my transition impact has been so good. Every morning when I meditate, I remember my core values. In this remembrance I bring awareness to purpose and difference I am making, even when I cannot see it myself.
My belief and my faith, my connection and creativity with those around me, keep me grounded to the differences we are all making together. 

One other thing I'll say about this great book: You need more than one bookmark for it. One for the chapters, one for the exercises in the back of the book. Two bookmarks will make your life easier. 

I highly recommend it. 




Also! The official launch day for the book is next Tuesday, November 2nd!
Karen and one of the activists she talks to and about in the book will be having an event with Blue Willow Bookshop (not far from where I lived in Houston!) for the official launch. You can find out more here:

https://www.bluewillowbookshop.com/event/karen-walrond-lightmakers-manifesto

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith