Curiosity Leads to Grace


"Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back." 

Many times the greatest threat of curiosity is the possibility that we might change, change our minds, change our habits, change our behaviors. 

I am an Episcopalian priest; which for anyone who knows anything about Episcopalians, knows that absolutely means I know a fair amount about the way ritual and routine, habits and proscribed ways of doing things affect, support, enable and disable people in their lives. I see the cause and effects on a daily basis. Part of my job is also reminding people to be curious. Curious about God, about themselves, about their neighbors, about the world around us. Because yes, curiosity may change us, it may change us for the better.  

When it comes to the hard stuff in our lives, getting curious is so important, and so hard to do. I know it usually takes me a few minutes of venting, pitying, crying, trashing, whatever it takes to get beyond the initial feelings, in my journal before I can start to get curious about difficulties and challenges in my life. Yet, when I do get curious, that is when creativity and connection start to flow. When I get curious, I can start to see new possibilities, new connections, new ways of relating to others in those situations. When my body said, you can't eat that anymore, even when 'that' was something millions of people base their daily food intake on, after the frustration and confusion, I started to get curious about what else I could eat and by now I have created countless delicious meals and baked goods, all without 'that'. When I struggled with mental health and not wanting to live, after I got curious, I was able to ask myself, what does give me purpose and joy in this world? How can I live fully and not want to die? Twenty years later, I have a much better way of life filled with meaning, with connection, creativity, and health. 

When it comes to activism and the systematic issues facing our world, the best response we can have is curiosity. What can I learn, what can I do, where are things different? We face such big issues, but those big issues are broken up into the little moments of our day when we see something happening and we wonder, how can I be present in this situation? How can I live out my values here and now? And my favorite curiosity question: How can I help God out today? In these moments, our curiosity turns fear and hatred into love and grace. 

@goodtalkthanks @mirajacob @mira.jacob #lightmakerbook #keepmakinglight www.thelightmakersmanifesto.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith