50 Acts of Green: Day Fourteen - Tooth Care

I'm going to throw one more bathroom change into the mix before moving on to kitchen changes tomorrow. There are a lot of items one uses in the bathroom, soaps, lotions, creams, cotton swabs, cotton balls... some of which I will talk about in other ways or under other titles. However, one thing we all use in the bathroom or over a sink is a toothbrush and toothpaste!

In college I started having a very strange problem with my mouth care. I had been using Crest toothpaste pretty much all of my life, but oddly I started having problems with my gums. I had lots of bleeding sores and strips of my gums started coming off. It was gross and I wanted it to stop immediately. My dentist was very surprised and at the time asked me if I had any allergies (and I had no idea at the time...) and suggested I try a natural toothpaste to see if some of the chemicals in the toothpaste were the problem. After searching high and low for what would qualify as a natural toothpaste, I stumbled upon Tom's of Maine. Low and behold, after making the change, my gums went back to being perfectly healthy.

While at the time, it was hard to even find Tom's of Maine in the regular stores, tooth care is now making its way to the eco-friendly world. Not too long ago, it was hard to find eco-friendly toothpaste or toothbrushes. Plastic was used in every part of the process. Thankfully, now there are lots of different options. Bamboo toothbrushes, tooth tablets, activated charcoal dental floss, all sorts of eco-friendly options!

I've slowly been trying the different options. I ran out of floss first, so I bought the activated biodegradable dental floss. My toothbrush is almost ready to be replaced, so I am awaiting a pack of bamboo brushes. I have been using Tom's of Maine toothpaste for a long time, and I recently tried Lush's Miles of Smiles Tooth tablets. (I bought them in conjunction with a bottle of their Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster Mouthwash tablets. If you know the reference, you know why I had to buy those!)


Today there are lots of options and flavors and brands that make eco-friendly tooth care items. It doesn't take a lot of time or effort to try out something new which might make a big difference to the environment! 

One small act of green, a lot less plastic in the world!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith