50 Acts of Green: Day Sixteen - Meat

When it comes to eating, I have already given up a lot of different foods because of my health. Wheat, dairy, all mass produced items which have soy in them, all normal bakery items, the list goes on. In my quest for a healthier and more eco-friendly diet, I have learned a lot about production values and total food costs. What we pay for our food does not begin to cover the impact our food is making on the environment, and our own health.

Now I cannot say that I have become a vegetarian or vegan by any means. Meat items have always been on my top ten list of favorite foods. However, I have become more conscious about what, how, and where I am buying meat products. Meat production uses so much water and adds so many chemicals to our water system and our own bodies, on a scale most of us cannot fathom. I have cut down drastically on the amount of red meat I buy and eat, only buying red meat once a month.

Amid the changes brought on by the Coronavirus Pandemic, we may be seeing a meat shortage in the future because of production plants needing to close. Perhaps this is a time for all of us to learn more and rethink how and why we eating so much meat and what might be healthier for our bodies.

For your education:



One act of green, lots of water saved!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith