Fifth Sunday of Easter Reflection



Almighty God, whom truly to know is everlasting life: Grant us so perfectly to know your Son Jesus Christ to be the way, the truth, and the life, that we may steadfastly follow his steps in the way that leads to eternal life; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. (Fifth Sunday of Easter, BCP 225)

The Call.

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
Such a Way, as gives us breath:
Such a Truth, as ends all strife:
Such a Life, as killeth death.

Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength:
Such a Light, as shows a feast:
Such a Feast, as mends in length:
Such a Strength, as makes his guest.

Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart:
Such a Joy, as none can move:
Such a Love, as none can part:
Such a Heart, as joyes in love.

From The Temple (1633), by George Herbert

I believe that God has given us free will, the freedom to make our own choices, in this world. For better or for worse, we face choices everyday. From when to wake up in the morning to when to go to bed at night, we must choose what and when and how and why we do what we do.

The collect for day quotes the gospel of John, chapter 14, verse 6 where Jesus says, "'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" The prayer asks God to help us to follow Jesus's steps along the way. We should probably pray this prayer every day, because every day we must choose to follow Jesus. Every day we have choices where we can invite God more deeply into our lives, or we can blindly wander around. Every day we have the choice to follow Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith