50 Acts of Green: Day Fifteen - Imperfect Produce

Let's head to the kitchen! My favorite part of the house!
Let's just put it out there,
I love food.
I love to cook, bake, and eat food.

The top three reasons I am a triathlete are:
I like to eat,
I love to bake,
I love to eat.

No joke.

So when it comes to where I spend most of my time and money, we have to go to the kitchen. Which also makes it a big place for eco-friendly improvements. There are so many convenient yet environment destroying kitchen "improvements" out there. In normal kitchens, there are plastic items everywhere! Appliances, utensils, cookware, wrapping, etc, etc.

In the last year, I have made a number of changes in my kitchen to start being more environmentally friendly. I am still in the process of converting my kitchen and learning new things. Thankfully, there are lots of options and new eco-friendly products out there to help us out.

First, though, I'm going to start with food.
I have definitely started making changes in the food that I purchase and order to be more environmentally friendly. I found that there are lots of companies from which you can order produce which has been rejected from supermarkets solely because of how they look.
Ugly vegetables! Imperfect fruits! Trapezoidal tomatoes!
Every month I receive a box of ugly misfit produce to help food not go to waste. The company I use, Misfits Market also focuses on organic produce, so there are no nasty chemicals used on the produce.
There are lots of different companies out there, Imperfect Foods, Hungry Harvest and so on.

Now I have seen lots of questions about whether this really helps the American food system. Since the food system is so broken already, it is very hard to tell. I think it would take a lot of study and renegotiation to truly fix the American food system. Any way in which food is kept from going to waste and local farmers are helped is a win in my book.

One small act of green, food saved! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith