50 Acts of Green: Day Thirteen - Cleaning Products

Today is a bridge day of sorts. I mean, the bathroom is not the only area of the house I clean. My kitchen actually probably takes the most cleaning time, because I make the most mess there. But my laundry room, and all the other couple of dozen rooms in the Rectory need cleaning too.

Now, more than ever, when cleaning is so important to staying healthy, is it important to make good choices for the environment as to which cleaners we use. Many commercial cleaners are full of harsh chemicals which not only can hurt the items we are trying to clean, but also prove problematic for the water system. Chemicals in cleaners can also be harmful to ourselves and our pets, causing irritation, illness, and even organ damage. None of these things are what I want to do when cleaning my house!

In the last couple of years I have been on the lookout for good cleaning products which are also eco-friendly. I have found that there are large number of different rating systems and seals of approval, such as GreenSeal, Environmental Working Group (EWG), SCScertified, WaterSense, and so on. Each tends to have its own list and own requirements for what makes a product eco-friendly. I have tried the big brands, Seventh Generation, Dr. Bronner's, and Method. Some of them have worked well. I have also tried very natural cleaners such as mixtures of vinegar and lemon juice or baking soda. Apple cider vinegar is a natural anti-fungal and is very useful in certain applications.

So far, I'm still trying things here and there. But every time I buy or try a natural or eco-friendly household cleaner, I am committing an act of green and helping the environment.



One small act of green, water protected and saved!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith