50 Acts of Green: Day Seventeen - Gardening

Spring is a wonderful time.
As long as you can still breathe.
I have a few seasonal allergies that give me trouble in the spring,
but I still love the wondrous blooming of flowers and trees,
the warmer weather and changing of the light.
Spring is the time I start to get excited about my summer plans. I start planning my garden, I start thinking about campfires and camp and races and sitting on the porch.
This year, my summer plans are not quite as formalized as usual, but I am figuring my way around that. I am still planning my garden and thinking about biking and sitting on the porch.

While being eco-friendly in the garden is its own whole topic, I am going to start talking about gardening during my week on kitchen changes because it is one place I get my food. From my garden! In the last couple of years I have amassed a large array of pots and planters and I plant a small variety of beans, tomatoes, herbs, and other veggies and fruits to use in my kitchen. Gardening myself cuts down on lots of costs. I can use excess water from lots of places in my house to water my plants, I cut down on packaging and transportation, since my porch is only thirty steps from my kitchen. Since I use no chemical pesticides, I keep the food clean and keep those chemicals out of the water supply.

Its still a little early to start seeds or plant outside in Northwestern Pennsylvania. I will be working on my supplies and plans this weekend. I am looking forward to seeing what I can grow this year!

Lots of small acts of green, a healthier environment for all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith