The Poetry of Lent

Now that the King Cake is settling in my stomach, I have turned my sights on tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, and the season of Lent. I have been thinking and praying about what to do for Lent this year and what I have decided to do is continue what I started for Advent and have not stopped doing. And that is writing a poem every day. I know, for many people, that idea makes you cringe. But for some reason, I have greatly enjoyed the challenge I set for myself for Advent and I haven't stopped. Everyday the Society of Saint John the Evangelist puts out a word of the day with a quote from one of the brother's sermons. (I highly recommend getting their emails.) I put that word in my journal in the morning and let it bounce around my head throughout the day. At the end of the day, I write down the poem that comes. What I am going to do for Lent is share them on this blog. You are welcome to read and ponder them too, and even respond. I do not guarantee that the poetry will always be good or will rhyme well, or even will be completely serious (despite being part of Lent). This is not an official devotion of the Holy Spirit community or any other church group. Holy Spirit has great devotion booklets available with reflections written by people throughout the congregation. But this is part of how I am opening the doors of my life to God this Lent. As I have learned throughout my life what it means to be a pilgrim on a journey with God, poetry is also a journey and I have no doubts that certain thoughts, themes, ideas, and images will emerge over the course of this season. I look forward to seeing what God has for me in the coming weeks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith