50 Acts of Green: Day Fifty - Tire Planters

Hooray! I have made it through the 50 Acts of Green Challenge. I have had a lot of fun learning more about what it means to care about God's creation and how I can make a difference by what I use. I hope some of this inspired your own journey and research and perhaps you will make some changes in your life to help the environment. Today marks both a movement in the church and in the world as we come to the Day of Pentecost. 

I know I will continue to look for small acts of green I can do to help protect and conserve our environment. Franklin has natural beauty surrounding it on all sides and I hope that it will be here for generations to come. It is the people of this area who protect and impact the environment and I think as long as we can see that cause and effect relationship, we will continue to work for the good of all creation.

Earlier this season, my fiance bought new tires for his car. While we were discussing the new tires and our logistics for him to be out of his car for a day or two, we started discussing what happens with old tires. Old tires which end up in landfills take up a lot of space and can add to methane gas problems. Rubber tires take a long time to break down. However, thankfully, most old tires are now recycled. Rubber tires can be recycled into more tires, turned into fuel, ground up and made into other kinds of outdoor equipment and insulation filler. At home, people can recycle their tires by reusing them in lots of do-it-yourself projects. This was the path we choose for his old tires, and I turned them into planters. I've added Early Blue and Michelle hydrangeas to my small garden area. 


One small act of green, tires saved from the landfill!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith