50 Acts of Green: Day Forty Eight - Electronics Recycling

Between the pandemic keeping me at home more and my focus on environmental impacts lately, I have noticed so many devices in my life have digital screens. The coffee maker (which I don't use, but it sits in the kitchen), computers, tablets, phones, televisions, my bike computer, all have digital screens. For people who have newer appliances than I, their washers, dishwashers, dryers, fridges, all have digital screens. Since we have created computer screens, we are so in love with them, we have to have them on everything! 

While I am not a complete Luddite, I do question if all of these digital screens are necessary. I know the creation of computers and screens require precious metals and minerals. They requires lots of production power and waste. They break easily and they are harder to recycle than mechanical devises. Most counties, at least in my area, only have one or two electronics recycling collections a year, and even then you have to pay for them to take your stuff. I have a box I am putting together from my house and the church for our county's next electronics recycling day. I don't really even care how much it is going to cost me. I want it all properly recycled. 

Electronics recycling may be expensive and time consuming, however, it does allow for all those metals and materials to be properly recycled and reused or if necessary, proper disposed. I hope you look into your area's next electronics recycling collection day!

One small act of green, expensive materials recycled!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith