50 Acts of Green: Day Forty Six - Rags

"Rags to Riches." Its a phrase we normally use to describe people who started out poor in life and made their way to some semblance of fame and riches. However, I have also noticed, that using rags around the house can help you save money on cleaning supplies, as well as help save the environment, both also ways rags can lead to riches. 

When I moved into my apartment in Houston I had a steady income for the first time. In college and in seminary, I made whatever I had or could get cheaply work. It really didn't matter how good or bad it was. In Houston, I went to the other end of the spectrum and choose convenient disposable cleaning supplies. It didn't matter whether they were good for the environment or not, I could finally afford a Swiffer and all its accouterments. 

As I have lived in Franklin making slightly less money and being more focused on my environmental impact, I have changed my cleaning habits again. However, this time I have been much more intentional about what I am using and how I am using it. I use old cloth rags and cleaning cloths to clean instead of disposable wipes. I use a regular mop to wash the floors. I have gone back to some of the ways I used to clean in terms of items and money, but have put better thought into the products I am using. 

Disposable wipes clog sewers and bulk up landfills. They get into waterways and oceans and because they are made from plastic compounds, do not degrade or dissolve. So look around your house. Reuse those old ripped up clothes, turn them into cleaning rags and help save the environment.

One small act of green, sewers and waterways saved. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith