50 Acts of Green: Day Forty Nine - Razors

As I have been doing this research and figuring out what kinds of changes to make, I came across this statistic: 2 billion single-use plastic razors are thrown away each year. Plastic razors are not that large, so they don't take up a huge amount of space, but that is a lot of plastic being thrown away and ending up free in the environment each year. I have never used single use plastic razors, for most of my life I have used Gillette's Venus razors and refilled the heads. I've had the same two handles for quite a long time. However, even the refillable heads are disposable and adding plastic and metal waste to landfills. 

So I decided to look into some other options. I researched electric razors and safety razors, as the alternatives to disposable plastic razors. It seems that while electric razors are good in many ways, safety razors come in as the top environmentally friendly option. The handles are usually made of recyclable materials, the blades are recyclable. They don't take electricity to use or battery power. They are not single use, you can use the same handle for most of your life. And some even claim they give a better shave. So, a couple of weeks ago, I bought a safety razor. I bought this EcoRoots Rose Gold Safety Razor.

I will say, shaving with a safety razor is a little different than a plastic multi-bladed razor. I haven't exactly had the experience of it being smoother or easier to use, but I am still learning how to hold it against my skin and how it feels. Despite my learning curve, I do think it was an amazing investment and one I won't be going back on. As with many other changes, it takes more intention and focus to use and maintain, but it also cuts down on a lot of plastic and trash in the house. I am glad I have made this change.

One small act of green, less plastic used!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nutritional Wellness

Book Review: Radiant Rebellion: Reclaim Aging, Practice Joy, And Raise A Little Hell, by Karen Walrond

The Question of Faith